Children in San Luis Obispo County thrive in nurturing, respectful environments and enter school healthy and ready to learn.
The Children and Families Commission of San Luis Obispo County allocates funds and advocates for quality programs and services, supporting children prenatal to age 5, to ensure that every child is healthy and ready to learn in school.
- Recognize throughout our endeavors the value and respect due to children as individual human beings, and embrace a comprehensive view of child development that encompasses physicality, cognition, behavior, social interaction, and emotions.
- Mobilize the community around critical issues affecting young children and their families, and identify approaches that begin to meet their highest or broadest needs.
- Engage in strategies that are supported by evidence, and ensure positive outcomes for children and their families by evaluating program impacts on children and families.
- Target specific priority areas, and concentrate activities in order to maximize outcomes. Go “narrow and deep.”
- Recognize and honor the cultural diversity among us by providing outreach to all communities in San Luis Obispo County, including families with special needs or those socially isolated.
- Engage in an ongoing, dynamic, inclusive, and evolving strategic planning process to meet the changing needs of all communities.